One of the great things about arriving to Lisbon Airport is that you don’t have to endure a long drive to the city centre. The city’s only airport is just 10km (6mi) from most attractions, which makes it one of the world’s most convenient airports.
The airport is so close that even if you have just 24 hours in Lisbon, you’ll still have plenty of time to explore the city.
There are a number of different ways to get from the airport to central Lisbon and beyond. Here are the options.
There is a metro station at Lisbon Airport linking to the city centre. The service runs between 6.30am and 1am.
- Frequency: Every 6 to 10 minutes (red line)
- Journey time: 35 minutes approximately (Baixa/Chiado station), changing to green line at Alameda station (metro map)
- Fare: single ticket (€1.45) or Zapping option (€1.31) deducted from your Viva Viagem card
This is a shuttle service operated by Lisbon’s bus company Carris, between the airport and the city centre, with stops at the main hotels.
Line 1 serves the historic centre, including the Baixa neighbourhood (Praça da Figueira, Praça do Comércio, aka Terreiro do Paço, Cais do Sodré, and Rossio). Line 2 goes to Avenida José Malhoa (via Entre Campos, Saldanha, and Marquês do Pombal) and then to Sete Rios bus terminal before getting back to the airport. Tickets are valid for 24 hours on both lines.
- Frequency: Line 1 – every 20/25 minutes from 7.30am-11pm; Line 2 – every 20/25 minutes 7.40am-10.45pm
- Journey time: 20 minutes approximately (Baixa)
- Fare: €3.60 valid for 24h on both lines 1 and 2
You can pick up a taxi at the rank located outside Terminal 1. A journey to downtown Lisbon (Baixa) typically takes about 15-20 minutes and costs €10-15 in light traffic.
If your destination is outside Lisbon, say Cascais, expect to pay €35-40. If going from Lisbon Airport to Sintra, the ride will cost about €30-35.
You can take an Uber in Lisbon. You need to download the smartphone app which allows you to book a car and pay for it without cash exchanged with the driver. In Lisbon, Uber cars are identified by a TVDE sticker placed on the driver’s side rear window.
By Car Rental
The journey takes about 20 minutes in light traffic. A number of car hire companies operate from the airport.