August is one of the warmest months of the year in Lisbon.
While many Lisboners head south, to the Algarve beaches, escaping the city during the heat, visitors from all around the world and from other parts of Portugal come to Lisbon to enjoy the nice weather and the many summer concerts.
August is also the best month to hit one of the beaches an hour away or less from the capital. With refreshing sea breezes and soft white sand, going to the beach is one of the best ways for cooling off in Lisbon.
Weather in August: What to Pack, What to Wear
On average, August is the hottest month of the year in Lisbon. However, there’s usually a north sea-breeze, known as nortada, that may become windy in the afternoon and has the effect of making the hot less oppressive in the city.
- Average High: 29ºC / 84ºF
- Average Low: 19ºC / 66ºF
- Average Rainfall: 6 millimetres / 0.24 inches
To visit Lisbon in August, bring shorts and short sleeve shirts, or whatever you feel comfortable in during hot weather. Pack a light jacket and long trousers for cooler nights just in case.
Don’t forget sunglasses and hat. The sun is very strong in Lisbon, so use sunscreen on any exposed skin, even if you’re not on the beach. Choose a 30 SPF or above to protect you from sunburn, sun damage, and skin cancer. Last but not least, if you plan to hit the beach, or your hotel has a pool, bring a swimsuit.
Events in August
- Jazz em Agosto: In August, the Gulbenkian Foundation welcomes Lisbon’s most important annual jazz event, with concerts by world acclaimed musicians performed in the open air amphitheatre. There are free concerts that complement the program.
- CCB Summer: Enjoy jazz and world music performances, as well as film screenings, in the garden Jardim das Oliveiras at CCB, Belém. Music concerts take place at 7pm on Saturdays and Sundays, and outdoor film screenings at 9.30pm on Fridays, throughout August. Admission is free.
- Out Jazz Festival: Every Sunday from May to September, enjoy jazz, soul, funk and hip-hop music in Lisbon’s public gardens. This month the concerts take place in Ribeira das Naus, Terreiro do Paço, and start at 5pm. Admission is free.
Public Holidays in August
- 15 August: Assumption
Enjoy a beautiful sunset boat cruise up and down the River Tejo. You can compare offers on this page: Boat Trips in Lisbon.
The weather averages help you get an idea. But if you’re not sure what time of year to visit, check out our Lisbon weather page.