As far as the weather goes, May is usually a good month to visit Lisbon. It begins the drier part of the year, with less rain than April.
Every once in a while there may be a partial rainy day, but it won’t be a couple of hours until the rain passes and the skies open up.
Many days already feel like summer, with longer daylight hours for exploring the city.
Weather in May: What to Pack, What to Wear
- Average High: 22ºC (72ºF)
- Average Low: 14ºC (57ºF)
There might be a few days when the thermometer goes over 30ºC (86ºF). Lisbon receives on average 53mm of rainfall during May. Occasional thunders are not unusual.
Layers may come in handy during your May visit to Lisbon. Layers will allow you to be prepared if it becomes windy, or the weather suddenly changes. We recommend bringing along a light weight jacket as well as a number of short sleeve shirts. Long pants or jeans are what the locals wear, but there are a few days when you could wear shorts.
Events in May
- Workers’ Day: This is a public holiday in Portugal. It’s usually celebrated with parades and demonstrations organised by the two main Portuguese trade unions in Alameda D. Afonso Henriques (CGTP) and Torre de Belém (UGT).
- Indie Lisboa: An independent 11-day film festival that offers documentaries, shorts and experimental film exhibitions (both Portuguese and foreign) of all genres.
- Out Jazz Festival: Every Sunday from May to September, enjoy jazz, soul, funk and hip-hop music at Lisbon’s public gardens. This month the concerts take place at Torre de Belém’s gardens and start at 5pm. Admission is free.
- ARCO Lisboa: This international contemporary art fair brings together emerging and renowned artists in an event that promises to have an impact on the Portuguese contemporary art market.
The best scenic view of Lisbon is from the River Tejo. There are several tour boats that vary in price and duration. Choosing the right one for you is easier if you read about boat trips in Lisbon.
The weather averages help you get an idea. But if you’re not sure what time of year to visit, check out our Lisbon weather page.