Lisbon is officially the coolest capital in Europe after scooping two awards for Best City Destination and City Break at the World Travel Awards event.
But Portugal was also voted the Best Destination in the World for the second year running, and Madeira won the Best Island prize.
Established in 1993, the World Travel Awards distinguish the best examples in tourism across the world.
In the 2018 edition, Portugal won 17 awards in total. Here’s the complete list:
- Leading Destination: Portugal
- Leading City Destination: Lisboa
- Leading City Break Destination: Lisboa
- Leading Island Destination: Madeira
- Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction: Passadiços do Paiva (UNESCO Global Geopark)
- Leading Conservation Company: Parques de Sintra – Monte da Lua
- Leading City Hotel: Corinthia Hotel Lisbon
- Leading Classic Hotel: Olissippo Lapa Palace Hotel (Lisbon)
- Leading Design Hotel: The Vine Hotel (Funchal, Madeira)
- Leading Fine Dining Hotel Restaurant: Vila Joya Hotel Restaurant (Albufeira, Algarve)
- Leading Luxury Leisure Resort: Conrad Algarve (Quinta do Lago)
- Leading Inflight Magazine: Up Magazine (TAP Air Portugal)
- Leading Boutique Hotel Operator: Amazing Evolution Management
- Leading Tourist Board: Turismo de Portugal
- Leading Airline to Africa: TAP Air Portugal
- Leading Airline to South America: TAP Air Portugal
- Leading Tourism Authority Website: VisitPortugal