Michelin-starred restaurants offer exceptional dining experiences, and often they are more accessible in Portugal when compared to many other locations elsewhere in the world.
Portugal is now home to 27 top restaurants, with four new entries at the 2020 awards. Casa de Chá da Boa Nova led by chef Rui Paula, celebrates the freshest fish and seafood in Leça da Palmeira, and has earned a new star, ascending to the exclusive group of seven Portuguese restaurants at two-star level. Portugal has yet to earn its three-star restaurant.
There are two new Michelin-starred restaurants in Lisbon, Epur led by chef Vincent Farges and Fifty Seconds by Martin Berasategui. However, three Portuguese restaurants have lost their stars: two in the Algarve, Henrique Leis and Willie’s, and L’And Vineyards, in Montemor-o-Novo, in the Alentejo.
Most of the Michelin-starred restaurants accept reservations, and you do need to make one in most cases.
Check out the full list of awarded restaurants in Portugal for 2020, arranged by number of stars and in alphabetical order.
- Alma / Henrique Sá Pessoa, Lisbon
- Belcanto / José Avillez, Lisbon
- Casa de Chá da Boa Nova / Rui Paula, Leça da Palmeira – New (upgrade)
- Il Gallo d’Oro / Benoit Sinthon, The Cliff Bay, Funchal (Madeira)
- Ocean / Hans Neuner, Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa, Alporcinhos (Algarve)
- The Yeatman / Ricardo Costa, The Yeatman Hotel, Vila Nova de Gaia
- Vila Joya / Dieter Koschina, Vila Joya Hotel, Albufeira (Algarve)
- A Cozinha / António Loureiro, Guimarães
- Antiqvvm / Vitor Matos, Porto
- Bon Bon / Rui Silvestre, Carvoeiro (Algarve)
- Casa da Calçada / Tiago Bonito, Hotel Casa da Calçada Relais & Chateaux, Amarante
- Eleven / Joachim Koerper, Lisbon
- Epur / Vicent Farges, Lisbon – New
- Feitoria / João Rodrigues, Altis Belem Hotel & Spa, Lisbon
- Fifty Seconds / Martín Berasategui, MYRIAD by Sana, Lisbon – New
- Fortaleza do Guincho / Miguel Rocha Vieira, Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho, Cascais
- G Restaurante / António and Óscar Gonçalves, Bragança
- Gusto by Heinz Beck / Heinz Beck, Conrad Algarve, Quinta do Lago (Algarve)
- LAB by Sergi Arola / Sergi Arola, Penha Longa Resort, Sintra
- Loco / Alexandre Silva, Lisbon
- Mesa de Lemos / Diogo Rocha, Viseu, Passos de Silgueiros – New
- Midori / Pedro Almeida, Penha Longa Resort, Sintra
- Pedro Lemos, Porto
- São Gabriel / Leonel Pereira, Almancil (Algarve) – announced that will close two days after the award ceremony
- Vista / João Oliveira, Bela Vista Hotel & Spa, Portimão (Algarve)
- Vistas / Rui Silvestre, Sesmarias – Vila Nova de Cacela (Algarve) – New
- William / Luís Pestana, Belmond Reid’s Palace, Funchal (Madeira)