Patisserie Benard opened in 1868, but only moved to its current location on Rua Garrett in 1902.
Until the Second World War, the establishment was essentially a tea room where the Portuguese high society would meet. In 1957, Patisserie Benard prepared the banquet for Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to Lisbon.
By the 1980s, when it had lost most of its prestige, Benard was sold. The new owner was able to successfully turn the business around, and today Patisserie Benard is once again a popular café.
It has an outdoor terrace next to A Brasileira. Don’t miss the delicious croissants – some say they are the best in Lisbon.