If you’re visiting Lisbon for the first time, you may feel overwhelmed by the multitude of things to do.
And if a few days is all you have, you must prioritise.
So that later you won’t regret having missed something, we’ve highlighted 10 activities and places you must visit when you’re in the Portuguese capital.
Think of this as your definitive checklist of the best things to do in Lisbon.
- Get lost on the narrow streets of Alfama.
- Climb up to São Jorge Castle for great views over the city.
- Take a ride on tram 28 and discover Lisbon’s old neighbourhoods.
- Have a bica (an espresso) at one of Chiado’s historic cafés.
- Sunbath and watch the sunset at Ribeira das Naus.
- Admire Jerónimos Monastery and Belém Tower, Unesco World Heritage sites, and sample a delicious pastel de nata (custard tart).
- Visit the Oceanarium that recreates the five ocean habitats.
- Bar hop in Bairro Alto and finish the night in Cais do Sodré’s Pink Street.
- Make a day trip to Sintra and visit the beautiful palaces and castles of this historic village.
- Discover Lisbon’s beaches and the inviting waters of the Atlantic Ocean.