Lisbon moves into spring weather during March. It’s a great time to visit the city, with smaller crowds than in summer.
The rain usually eases up, the skies are clear most of the days, and the temperature nudges a bit upwards.
During March, temperatures continue to rise as the month progresses. Temperatures below 10ºC (50ºF) are uncommon during March
Weather in March: What to Pack, What to Wear
- Average High: 19ºC / 66ºF
- Average Low: 11ºC / 52ºF
- Average Rainfall: 53 millimetres / 2.09 inches
This month may have a few days when the thermometer goes to 25ºC (77ºF). Lisbon receives on average 53mm of rainfall in March, but total rainfall for the month may vary from year to year.
Mornings and nights tend to be cool this month, but expect warmer weather during the day, especially on clear-sky days. It’s a good idea to pack layers. Sweaters with long sleeve shirts and a medium weight jacket or coat will be needed. You won’t need any heavy winter ware.
Don’t forget to pack some comfortable walking shoes, the Portuguese calçada (sidewalk pavement) is beautiful but may be difficult to walk on, especially after some time sightseeing.
Events in March
- Moda Lisboa: Lisbon Fashion Week presents Portuguese designers’ new collections.
- Lisbon Half Marathon: A great opportunity to walk across Lisbon’s bridge over the River Tejo, and admire the grandeur of the cityscape.
- Monstra: Watch some of the best animated films world wide at Lisbon’s animated film festival.
- Daylight saving time begins: On the last Sunday in March, the clocks go forward one hour at 1am, as daylight saving time begins.
Sunny skies and mild weather make exploring the city and the river a great experience this month. For a River Tejo cruise, take a look at some of the best ferry and river boat trips available in Lisbon.
The weather averages help you get an idea. If you’re not sure what time of year to visit, check our Lisbon weather page.